Sixty-five homes and shops are proposed on a parking lot next to Calvary Episcopal Chuch in Downtown Santa Cruz. (Stephen Baxter – Santa Cruz Local)
Last updated: Feb. 23, 2023
Project name: Center/Cedar apartments, Calvary Church
Location: Parking lot next to Calvary Episcopal Church at 532 Center St., Santa Cruz
Status: Construction began in August 2022 and is expected to finish by January 2024, developer Matt Tunney said. A design permit was conditionally approved on May 12, 2022.
A housing application process is expected to start as the project nears completion. Potential applicants can email [email protected] to be added to a list, said John Stewart Co. representative Christina Wise.
Developer: SC Cedar Street Apts LP – Matt Tunney.
- Total residential units: 65.
- Affordable units: All of the units are expected to be affordable with income limits set by the state. Twenty-five percent of the units will be permanent supportive housing, developer Matt Tunney said.
- Height: 48 feet 6 inches.
- Details: The project will have affordable housing, permanent supportive housing, a public walkway and 2,210 square feet of retail space. The site previously had a city parking lot that church leaders had leased to the city, Tunney said.
- City of Santa Cruz’s project application page
- Downtown Santa Cruz affordable housing projects advance (Jan. 26, 2021)
How to make your voice heard:
- Submit comments and questions to [email protected] or visit the City of Santa Cruz project application page.
Read about other notable housing and construction projects in Santa Cruz County.