Last updated: Nov. 18, 2022
Project name: 5940 Soquel
- Project summary: Leaders from Kaiser Permanente have proposed a 160,000-square-foot building at 5940 Soquel Ave. in Live Oak. it would include 24-hour urgent care, physical therapy, chemotherapy, optometry and a pharmacy.
- Location: 5940 Soquel Ave, across from the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office. The site is now a vehicle towing yard flanked by supply stores for construction and landscaping.
- Status: The permit application and Environmental Impact Report is expected to go before the Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors in December 2022.
- Developer: San Diego-based developer Pacific Medical Buildings LLC.
A four-story Kaiser Permanente medical complex has been proposed for 5940 Soquel Ave. in Live Oak. (Pacific Medical Buildings LLC)
A rendering of the proposed parking garage for 5940 Soquel Ave. in Live Oak. (Pacific Medical Buildings LLC)
- Details: This project calls for a 160,000-square-foot building including 24-hour urgent care, physical therapy, chemotherapy, optometry and a pharmacy, Kaiser leaders have said.
- Transportation Concerns: The plan includes a 730-space parking garage with at least 40 electric vehicle charging stations, said representatives from San Diego-based developer Pacific Medical Buildings LLC. Some critics have said the proposed building doesn’t have enough public transit near it. Santa Cruz County Public Works leaders plan to release a set of transportation improvement projects to offset traffic to the proposed building, Santa Cruz County Supervisor Manu Koenig said in October 2021.
Read about other notable housing and construction projects in Santa Cruz County.